27 June 2012

Sharing Five: Random Fun

It seems like a lot of my posts have been heavy, lately. A lot of topics that aren't fun, light-hearted, and enjoyable. I need a break. Do you? Here are some things that make me smile, in the order of how they happen to occur to me at the moment.

1. Little furry animals. Specifically, these three, but also little furry animals in general. Aren't they cute?

Precious piggies. (L-R = Zoe, Zelma, & Zephyr)

It's entirely possible that I'm a little too tender-hearted when it comes to little fuzzy things. I love the chipmunks that live in our yard, while my husband wants them to stop digging holes. I call the mousetraps my husband keeps setting "death machines." (He's so good, though, he always makes sure I don't find whatever gets caught. I don't do well with killing little critters. Melt-down trigger!) I even had a conversation two mornings in a row with a squirrel that was climbing our brick exterior bedroom wall and sitting on our window sill, chirping. (Apparently, he didn't enjoy the conversation much, because he doesn't do that anymore.)

I have a Pinterest Board labeled "Cute." Here are a few of the pictures from it. Fuzzy animals, see?

2. Lying in bed, late at night, wide awake, listening to my darling husband snore like a congested lawn tractor breathe.

Now, I know that there are some people who can't deal with snoring, but I remember all too clearly the dozen plus years I would lie in bed at night wondering what it would be like to be married and be snuggled up to my husband instead of 9 feather pillows. I remember nights, lying awake, wondering how I'd manage to defend myself if someone broke in, or crying into a pillow in the darkness because of a heartache caused by my own selfishness or some guy's, or trying to imagine what life would be like in 5/10/20 years and who my husband would be, or hearing my mind spin with all the things that I had to do as a single woman living alone that would have been my husband's privilege and responsibility.

I remember those nights. Crystal clearly. Perhaps it's because I haven't yet been married a year, but I think it's more because I purposed to. I determined that I wasn't going to be a miserable person. Not single, and not married. I have known people who were miserable as single people. "I'll be happy when I'm in a relationship." They tended to be miserable as engaged people. "I'll be happy when we just get married and get all this waiting over with." Then, when they were miserable as married people, it wasn't that much of a surprise when they were miserable as divorced people, as well. I decided I wasn't going to be one of those people, holding themselves emotionally hostage. I enjoyed being single, with intention, and I looked forward to my engagement and marriage. I loved being engaged, with intention. I love being married. LOVE, love. <3

I guess it follows naturally that I love to lie in bed next to my dashingly handsome husband, listen to him breathe, and snuggle up to his warmth.

One other thing. About a week after we were married, I woke up in the middle of the night, and I couldn't hear him breathing. He was facing away from me, and in all probability, he was probably just breathing quietly. But, I couldn't hear him. And the way he was lying on his side, I couldn't see his body rise and fall with breath. It scared me. It scared me to think I was lying in bed with my brand new husband who might not be breathing, after all this waiting I did to finally get married, and we were just starting out, and I wouldn't even begin to know what to do, and what if he really was dead and I wouldn't even have any real memories of being married because we hadn't been married that long, and at this point I was kinda freaking out. Just a tad. So I reached over and tried to feel if he was breathing, and it woke him up and startled him. I can tell you I had never been so happy to be near a grumpy man in my life. It scared me just enough that when I lie there and he shifts position and goes into snore mode, I am happy to hear that sound. I thank God for that sound. I pray a prayer of thanksgiving for my husband.

Oh, and just to be clear, he's really not much of a snorer. His snoring isn't loud enough to be obnoxious. I'm a pretty deep sleeper, so if he snores while I sleep, I don't know it and it doesn't wake me. Most of the time he doesn't snore at all, but he does breathe deeply, and I love the sound of it. :) LOVE, love. <3

3. Reinterpretations of familiar icons. This one is from Pinterest, and because I don't have a tumblr account, I don't have any way of seeing the source. If you have it, tell me in the comments.


4. Genuine smiles. I can't help but smile when I see people smile and laugh in a genuine, heart-felt way. I came across this picture on Pinterest, and I just couldn't help but smile, so I pinned it to my "Giggles" board to help brighten some day in the future. 

Source.

5. Random stuff. Here are a few examples, also from my "Giggles" board. I don't have valid sources for any of these, so if you know them, tell me in the Comments. 




I think that's all for now. I hope you have a happy day!

Much love,
LL~



No comments: